15 days in Italy – Venice, Florence, Naples & Rome. Quite a trip.
I had the luxury of time to plan for the trip. 8-9 months to plan before stepping on the plane.
How i plan:
1. Typically, i start by deciding the country/location that i would like to the travel for the year. A travel destination would be one which allows me to travel out/around the region or neighbouring country. Interests would be subjective to individual. I like a mixed of outskirts, urban city, sand/sea and of course interesting architecture/culture/historical sites. Italy meets the criteria.
2. Look out for cheap airtix. Promotional airfare starts in every Jan/Feb. Usually, these fares have a short promotional period. Good to buy and plan early. Giving bosses ample time for a long vacation.
3. Duration in each cities. This is where the real planning begins. Tripadvisor and Youtube are great source of inspiration and many know hows. To get a sense of the interest level in each cities best use Youtube. Many travel guides/blogs out there. You’ll be amazed of the amount of information posted in Youtube. Do use Viator.com. They have many interesting tours which saves you time searching on your own. Reviews/ratings posted are quite accurate.
4. Train/domestic air tickets. Like the international flight, if you can get them early do so. Unfortunately, you can only get Italian train tix 3-4 months in advance but you can use current dates as a gauge for own planning.
5. Accommodation. Thank God for Airbnb… It has made budget traveler like myself a lot cheaper. I was spoilt for choices, many to choose from. Where to begin? Which area to pick? Tripadvisor. Read the postings in the forum. Good advice, feedbacks from fellow traveler and locals.